Do you feel a need for greenery and to reconnect with nature? Do you love plants but live in a small space? Think of the plant wall: with a little inspiration, dressing a wall with pretty green plants or flowers is child’s play. This natural wallcovering invites itself as well on a balcony as above a sofa or on a shelf. Find all our inspiring ideas to introduce the green wall into your home.
Where can you put a green wall at home?
Inside or outside, the green wall is more and more trendy. To bring freshness to the decor, here are several ways to integrate it into your home.
The indoor green wall
Bring nature into your home with an indoor green wall! Ideal for apartments without a balcony, this type of wall covering fits just as well in the living room and office as in the kitchen or bathroom. In the living room, it takes the form of a magnificent plant painting above the sofa. In the bathroom, it frames a mirror in style. Finally in the kitchen, it serves as a support for hanging pots to plant your aromatic herbs.
Know that the green wall helps regulate the temperature and clean the air. In addition, plants act on our nervous system by reducing stress. Whatever the surface of your home, there will always be a style of green wall adapted to your interior.
The exterior green wall
It is not necessarily necessary to have a large garden to enjoy an outdoor green wall. A balcony or terrace is more than enough. Besides, why settle for small flowerpots when you can decorate an entire wall? On the facade of your house, on the wall of your terrace or on the balustrade of your balcony, create a magnificent outdoor green wall: arrange it on wooden pallets, shelves or a fence for a totally successful natural look.
Whether you have a small or large area, choosing an exterior green wall has several advantages. On the one hand, it makes it possible to embellish an unsightly facade or to conceal a vis-à-vis. On the other hand, it has a sound-absorbing function by reducing surrounding noise and helping to protect you against the sun, wind or rain.
5 ultra-trendy green wall styles
To decorate a glass wall, a wooden wall or a concrete wall, the green wall is more and more in vogue. Thanks to different processes, it is available indefinitely to create wall coverings worthy of the most designer interiors! Discover 5 ultra-trendy green wall styles.
- The plant wall on a palletIdeal for adopting an ecological and 100% recycled approach, the pallet is one of the simplest supports to make for covering a wall. With its eco-chic look, the plant wall on a pallet fits both indoors and outdoors.
- The green wall on a grid or meshIf you want to spruce up part of a fence or fence, why not decorate it with pretty plants? With simple iron wires, fix your plant pots on the fence and plant your flowers and your favorite aromatic plants.
- The big pots lined upWith this simple and ultra-trendy technique, create your plant wall in a few minutes: all you have to do is line up your largest pots in a strategic place (to delimit a space, for example). In addition to installing an exotic atmosphere, the alignment of large plants cleans the air in your interior.
- The plant tableLike a work of art, the plant painting cannot be looked at: it is admired! Create your plant composition with moss and plants suitable for vertical cultivation (such as succulents) to create a zen and relaxing atmosphere in the room. Go for more ideas on homary.com!
- The suspended green wallSuspended from a shelf, a wooden ladder or a staircase, the green wall allows you to introduce a corner of nature into the house while saving space. This process is perfect for bohemian or rustic style interiors!
Which plants to choose for a green wall?
Whether you want to vegetate an interior wall or an exterior wall, your choice will relate to different varieties of plants. Indeed, the water or light needs differ depending on the location of the plant.
Which plants for an indoor green wall?
- Indoors, it is advisable to choose resistant flowers or plants. Creeping ficus, anthurium or epipremnum aureum are perfectly suited for an indoor plant wall.
- Also choose your varieties of flowers or plants according to the level of sunlight on the wall. If the wall gets enough sunlight, opt for a calathea, indoor begonias or marantas. If the wall receives little light, give preference to a dracaena, an asparagus or ferns such as an asplenium nidus.
- Remember that most plants need a minimum of light. If the wall is not sufficiently exposed, it is always possible to add a source of artificial light.
- If you are installing your green wall in the kitchen, consider aromatic plants, such as chives or parsley. They will be very useful for concocting delicious dishes.
Which plants for an outdoor green wall?
Outdoors, first define the type of wall you want to create. A green wall with climbing plants or a vertical vegetable garden? Whatever your desires, the plants to favor are the same as those adapted to the garden, namely plants resistant to cold and frost.
- For a green wall, climbing and perennial plants, such as ivy, jasmine or hydrangea will be ideal for decorating an exterior wall. In addition, these plants have the advantage of requiring little maintenance. Sage, heuchera and perennial geranium are also plants that like to be outdoors, especially if they are exposed to the sun.
- For a vertical garden on a balcony, stock up on aromatic plants (coriander, thyme, etc.). If your green wall is spacious enough, don’t hesitate to plant light vegetables with shallow roots: cherry tomatoes, peas, beans, radishes, lettuce…
DIY: making a green wall with pallets
- Choose a clean palette (which you will have sanded beforehand if necessary).
- Measure the pallet, then transfer these measurements to the wooden boards (they will be used to create the bottoms and the compartments).
- Cut the boards to the measurements of the pallet, then fix them on the latter.
- Cut the non-woven fabric lengthwise, then place these lengths in the pallet compartments. Fasten them with nails (or with a wood stapler). Trim the excess fabric with a pair of scissors;
- Place the potting soil in the compartments and place your plants there!